Product SpotlightASR 1000 Series Route Processor
The Cisco® ASR 1000 Series Route Processors address the stringent route-processing requirements of carrier-grade IP and Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) packet network infrastructures. They are the central control processors that run the network operating system, provide advanced routing capabilities, and also monitor and manage the other components of the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Router.
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processors fall into two main categories:
- Modular Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processors for modular chassis, including the ASR 1004, ASR 1006, ASR 1006-X, ASR 1009-X and ASR 1013 models. These are the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processor 1 (RP1; part number ASR1000-RP1), Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processor 2 (RP2; part number ASR1000-RP2), and Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processor 3 (RP3; part number ASR1000-RP3)
- Fixed or built-in Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processors for fixed chassis, including the ASR 1001, ASR 1001-X, ASR 1002, ASR 1002-F, and ASR 1002-X models. ASR 1002 and ASR 1002-F contain an embedded RP1 (part number ASR1000-RP1).
Table 1 lists the characteristics and chassis support of Cisco ASR 1000 Series RP1, RP2, and RP3.
Features and Benefits
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processors offer the following embedded features:
- Full range of industry-leading Cisco IOS XE Software features and services
- Optional redundant-processor and dual Cisco IOS XE Software support for single-route-processor solutions to improve network resiliency
- Hard disk drive (HDD) or solid state drive (SSD) for code storage, boot, configuration, logs, and so on (HDD or SSD are optional on Cisco ASR 1001, 1001-X, 1001-HX, 1002-X, and 1002-HX)
- USB ports for 1-GB compact flash memory support
- Built-in embedded flash memory (eUSB or eMMC) support:
- 1 GB on RP1; 8 GB on the built-in RP1 on the ASR 1002 router partitioned: 1 GB for bootflash; 7 GB for mass storage
- 2 GB on RP2; 8 GB on RP3
- 8 GB on the built-in route processor on the Cisco ASR 1001, 1001-X and 1002-X, partitioned: 1 GB for bootflash; 7 GB for mass storage
- Field-replaceable and hot-swappable capabilities with modular route processors for minimal service disruption
- Stratum-3 clock circuitry, building integrated timing supply (BITS) input and output (BITS output available on ASR1000-RP2 and on the chassis of ASR1002-X that has a built-in RP)
- Memory scalability up to 4 GB DRAM on the RP1; up to 16 GB DRAM on the RP2, ASR 1001, ASR 1001-X, ASR 1001-HX, ASR 1002-X, and ASR 1002-HX; up to 64 GB DRAM on the RP3
Many additional features are performed in line with routing, including:
- Building and distributing forwarding information to the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Embedded Services Processor (ESP)
- Implementing session border controller (SBC) setup and teardown and applying per-session policies for voice and video streams
- Offering a portal for stateful firewall policy configuration and distribution to the ESP forwarding engine
- Negotiating and maintaining IP Security (IPsec) authentication, encryption methods, and encryption keys (Internet Key Exchange [IKE])
As the management processor for the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router, the RPs automatically perform the following system management functions:
- Load the operating system software images to all installed line cards upon powering up or through operator commands
- Synchronize the dynamic state conditions for the redundant Cisco IOS XE Software, the route processor, and ESP components
- Perform high-availability failover for redundant solutions
- rovide out-of-band system console and auxiliary ports, USB, and Ethernet ports for router configuration and maintenance
- Allow direct system access through the operating-system kernel if catastrophic Cisco IOS Software failure occurs
- Monitor and manage the power and temperature of system components such as line cards, power supplies, and fans
Get your Product Spotlight Quote Today!
Pro Network Promise
To our Customers
We promise a lifetime of great customer service and superior products and solutions that cut costs and increase value.
As a customer-focused supplier of network equipment, we take pride in delivering not just high-quality products and services, but also the IT equipment that is compatible with your other systems. We assess your business requirements, the overall needs of your operations, and then we leverage our proprietary software, partners, and certified compliance policies—all designed so that the equipment fits your requirements and your budget.
Our assessment process includes identifying what you need through internal focus groups and one-on-one meetings with you. We invite you to collaborate with us to fine-tune what is required to meet your business goals and budget. We also collect feedback to ensure our service has fully met your expectations and to establish communications with your dedicated account manager, if required.
At the end of the day, for us it’s all about our customers. Just tell us what you need and what your goals are, and we promise to do our best to fulfill all your requirements.
Exceptional Customer Experience
Big Brands + Best Service
Our commitment to delivering an exceptional customer experience extends to the brands we offer.
We work only with the top brands in the network hardware industry, building relationships with our partners to ensure we provide high-quality, genuine products. Our brands include:
1701 NW 93rd Ave,
Miami, FL 33172
+1 (786) 598 7911
Monday to Friday
9am - 6pm